Lost and Stray Dogs

If you find a lost or stray dog, report it to your council dog warden, who has responsibility to collect all lost and stray dogs found in a public place.

You should also contact your local council for issues like dog fouling, noisy dogs, use of leads, reporting dangerous dogs (not currently out of control), breeding licences and information on micro-chipping.

Dyfed-Powys Police does not have the facilities to collect or house lost or stray dogs.

If you've lost or found a dog, consider registering it with the volunteer-run service Dog Lost.
www.doglost.co.uk or 0844 800 3220.

Dangerous Dogs

The following dogs are considered to be dangerous dogs under the Dangerous Dogs Act (1991 as amended in 1997):

  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino and
  • Fila Braziliero type dogs.

It is illegal to own such a dog without a certificate of exemption, which is granted once the dog is neutered, insured, and micro-chipped.

These dogs cannot be in a public place without being muzzled and kept on a lead by someone over 16 years of age. 

Whilst only very few dogs are specifically classed as being dangerous, all dogs have the capacity to act aggressively, bite and cause injury.

Who is responsible for dealing with dangerous dogs?

Your local council and police have joint responsibility for responding to complaints about dangerous dogs.

To make a report about a dog you believe to be dangerous (not currently out of control) contact your local council.

To report a dog that is currently out of control contact Dyfed-Powys Police by calling 101, or 999 if the incident is on-going and an emergency.

Council Contacts

  • Telephone: 01545 570881
  • Website: www.ceredigion.gov.uk
  • Report it online
  • Telephone: 01597 826000
  • Email: customer@powys.gov.uk
  • Website: www.powys.gov.uk