The Special Constable Recruitment cycle can take some time to complete.
At the end of each stage of the recruitment and selection process you will be notified whether or not you have been successful and therefore eligible to proceed to the next stage.
Stage 1: Complete the online application form
The application process consists of three areas:
- Eligibility criteria including confirmation of your qualifications. If you do not have a Level 3 qualification, you will be required to undertake an academic suitability test for Verbal Reasoning & Calculation as part of the application process. You can practice these tests prior to applying here.
- Situational Judgement Test and a Behavioural Style Questionnaire. You must pass both these tests in order to continue to the application process.
- Application form. You will be required to input your personal details. Please ensure this is completed fully and accurately.
Tips for completing your application
- Make sure you read the requirement of each stage thoroughly as failure to pass each section will reject your application.
- You will be asked to update a copy of your highest qualification achieved so take the required photos beforehand.
- If you require reasonable adjustments or positive action please ensure you check the relevant boxes on the application form.
- If you have had more than one address in the last 5 years, ensure you have all this information at hand including dates of occupancy.
- If you have received any convictions or cautions, ensure you have all this information at hand as you are required to disclose this information.
- If you have visible tattoos (face, neck, hands and forearms) take the required photos beforehand.
- If you have any financial certificates (bankruptcy, IVA etc.) have a copy of these ready to upload.
- When completing the online tests, ensure that your pop up blocker is disabled so that the test screen will open.
- If you encounter any problems or have any queries please contact HR as soon as possible. Please note our office hours are Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm.
Stage 2: If you are successful at application, you will be invited to attend an interview at Dyfed-Powys Police Headquarters*
The interview process has been designed to get a more rounded picture of you as an individual. It examines how your values and those of Dyfed Powys Police might match.
By carrying out this interview we are ensuring that you are making the right volunteering choice and thus will have every chance of being a successful Dyfed-Powys Police Special Constable.
The values and competencies that we are looking for in this interview have been through a rigorous process of research to ensure that they are relevant to the role and are fair to everyone being interviewed. These are:
- Public Service
- We are emotionally aware
- We take ownership
- We deliver, support & inspire
- We are collaborative
- We analyse critically
- We are innovative and open-minded
You will be provided with full details of what is expected of you at least one week prior to your interview.
Due to current government guidance, interviews will be conducted via video call utilising Skype; however consideration will be made for individuals who are unable to use this option. These individuals would be considered on a case by case basis.
Stage 3 Job Related Fitness Tests (JRFT), Biometric Assessments and Referencing (excluding current employer)
- You will be invited to attend Police Headquarters to complete a job related fitness test (JRFT). The JRFT will assess whether you can meet the physical challenges of policing. Prior to you attending the JRFT we will send you out a reminder of what this entails, but you should start preparing for this stage as soon as you submit your application if you are not yet physically fit. While you don't need to be an athlete to pass the JRFT, you do need a basic level of fitness.
- Biometric assessments are undertaken and these consist of DNA samples and Fingerprints which is undertaken by trained Dyfed Powys Police Officers and/or Staff whilst attending Police Headquarters.
- At this stage we will make contact with your previous employers for the last 3 years as well as your nominated character/educational referees. It is important that information on your application form is correct and keep up to date. We usually do not contact your current employer for a reference until you have been given Occupational and vetting clearance (stage 4). Any sickness declared by a previous employer will be reviewed by Senior Management in line with Dyfed Powys Police Absence Management policy.
Stage 4: Complete security vetting clearance and Attend a Medical
The medical assessment is straightforward and checks things like your eyesight, hearing, blood pressure and body mass. Conducted by a registered nurse and our Force Medical Advisor, it is in addition to the medical questionnaire you are required to complete during the recruitment process. Any costs incurred in obtaining a GP signature and practice stamp is at the candidate’s expense.
You will complete a form during the recruitment and selection process relating to security vetting information. Checks will be completed by our Professional Standards Department and a decision will be made on whether vetting can be granted. This can take up to 8 weeks or longer depending on individual circumstances
Stage 5: Complete Employer reference checks
On successfully passing all of the above stages, we will contact your current employer for a reference.
Any sickness declared by a previous employer will be reviewed by Senior Management in line with Dyfed-Powys Police Absence Management policy.
Stage 6: Offer of start date for the Special Constable Training Course
Once all relevant documents have been processed and it is confirmed that the selection and recruitment process has been completed, you will be sent a letter formally offering you an appointment and start date.
At this stage, if not already living within 30 miles or 1 hour commuting distance of your posting, you will be required to confirm that you will be moving to within this required distance.
Before your first day you will be required to –
- Attend Headquarters for a uniform fitting
- Complete pre-join online training packages
- Return all requested documents to the recruitment team